Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2



Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2

Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?.


Over the past year I have worked on baby hats (for my daughter to use as props for photography), baby cocoons, baby sweater, baby blankets, a couple snuggies for my grand daughters, a vest (as shown in previous post), barbie clothes, afghans and I'm sure there were other items as well.  Each of the items I worked on were basic made with basic stitches or close to it.  I've always picked projects that I KNEW I could do without a huge challenge just because I was afraid of starting something only to have to give up because I just couldn't do it!  I have a fear of failure I guess!  I was afraid to work with Wool because of being allergic to it...I have found out that I can knit with it and be ok. So one fear knocked off the chart!  LOL...

As for new skills and more knowledge I haven't pushed myself to learn any new skills.  For example just this past week I had a pattern picked out to work on and it entailed "intarsia" I shyed away from it when I got to the store to buy the yarn because the lady there told me she hated doing intarsia and that it was difficult if I had never done it.  Therefore, I changed patterns just like that.  I told myself though that this particular pattern I would eventually try but not right now being this was going to be a baby gift.  So I need to keep that in my head so that I do go back to it and make the item.

My daughter who is also part of this Knitting & Crochet Blg week (this is her blog) has just started knitting this past Sept and she has learned new stitches, and gained such a talent for knitting since starting that she is working with me to help me get over the fears of new things and learn to push myself when it comes to my knitting.  So this time next year I hope if asked this question I will be able to proudly tell you all the new tecniques and skills I have learned.   The one thing I want to give a try is "Entrelac"!

Here are a few pictures of things I have worked on this year....yes the hats are crocheted ( i enjoy crocheting as well)


1 comment:

Krystal said...

Great post!
I've only known you to do projects that are easy and familiar to you. So I hope that you shy away from this and venture out into new and exciting things!

Way to go :)