Wednesday, June 11, 2014

almost 4 weeks since surgery

I can't believe i'm almost 4 weeks post-op.  Crazy how fast time goes.  I've had a few post-op app'ts with my GYN and she is quite happy with how I'm doing overall but has said she figures I will be a good 3 months recovering fully with everything I went through.  Hope I can find lots of knitting to keep me busy during that time.

I got the stent out after having the dye X-ray done to confirm that the ureter had healed and that there were no leaks.  My bladder of course was acting up that day and they couldn't get the catheter to drain a little so that they could remove it for me to pee out all the dye.  So what did they have to do?  Use a syringe to get the dye out as the Dr said he couldn't let me go until it was all out.  I tell you, when you walk into a hospital you leave your dignity at the door...LOL!!!  On the 6th of June then the stent was finally removed and I can say I don't miss it at all, even if it was with me 3 weeks.  That thing caused me more pain and grief than I can explain but it did what it was supposed to do.  I got to watch on the screen everything that the dr did to get it out.  Interesting and amazing what these dr's do.  He showed me where the ureter used to be and then showed me where it is now located.  I got to watch him work his way around the bladder to the ureter grabbing the stent and removing it with such ease until he dropped it and had to go back in and start over.  I was going to ask if I could keep the stent as a souvenier of what I had gone through but opted against it.  I did read that people do ask for them.  So now I have to go for an X-ray in 6 months to see how things are and make sure that there isn't any scar tissue blocking anything and to be sure ureter is still as it should be.  I do have to be careful and see the dr if I get any bladder infections because I no longer have the valve that we  normally have to prevent the urine from backing into the kidney.  That valve could not be constructed at the time of the surgery being it was a traumatic surgery that was going on.  To construct the valve it has to be done as a surgery in itself not as a repair from another surgery.  So just hope I don't have any infections and everything will be good!

My Sargaco Shawl is still a work in progress but I'm determined that it will get finished!  Stay tuned for updates on it and the progress

Enjoy your week and weekend!

No comments: